New York, NY 10036
Institutional Giving and Campaign Associate
Playwrights Horizons, an award winning off-Broadway theater located in the heart of Manhattan, seeks a candidate who will become an integral member of a seven -person development office.
Playwrights is a 47-year-old Off-Broadway theater that develops and produces the new work of emerging and established American playwrights and musical theater artists. Playwrights Horizons is one of the country’s most respected theaters focused on the development of new work. The company produces 7 shows a year, commissions and develops new plays and musicals, runs an undergraduate theater school in conjunction with New York University, and operates Ticket Central, a low-cost box office that serves the New York City not-for-profit performing arts community, and Playwrights Rehearsal Studios, a rehearsal facility that serves the Off-Broadway and downtown community.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Institutional Giving and Campaign, the successful candidate will be a self-starter with strong writing and organizational skills, a facility for research and relationship-building, attention to detail, and the ability to work with a variety of people in a fast-paced environment. S/he will have a demonstrated interest in the performing arts and in growing their development career. Starting salary for this position is low 40s with an attractive and competitive benefits package.
· Write proposals, letters, and reports for foundation and corporate funders and prospects; manage a portfolio of institutional relationships, including personal outreach, invitations, benefits fulfillment, and setting up and facilitating meetings related to solicitations; and prepare supporting materials for proposals and meetings, including budgets and boiler plate institutional documents
· Assist Associate Director with oversight of the Capital Campaign, including preparation and dissemination of written materials; maintenance of tracking documents; scheduling meetings with board members, committees, funders and prospects; and preparation of reports for funders and board of directors
· Research, identify, and prepare solicitation plans for prospective funders and funding opportunities
· Maintain organization systems, including grants deadline calendar, Basecamp database, Raiser’s Edge, hard files
· Oversee processing and acknowledgement of all institutional annual fund gifts and campaign gifts and pledges, including preparation of pledge payment reminders and agreements
· Organize and maintain materials for donor stewardship, ensuring fulfillment accuracy in all recognition
· Provide assistance for Development team, including with various aspects of special events and projects as needed
· Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years’ work experience in fundraising, some grant research and writing experience preferred
· Proficient in Microsoft Office
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Must be able to work nights and very occasionally on weekends
Competitive salary. Excellent benefits including opportunities for professional development. Playwrights Horizons is an equal opportunity employer, and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity in its staffing and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. The organization is particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people. Please e-mail resume, cover letter, and references to jobs@PHnyc.org with Development Associate in the subject line. No mail, faxes or phone calls.