Dept-Education-Box Office Manager
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
New York, NY 10028
Dept-Education-Box Office Manager
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
The Manager, Box Office is an intergral part of the Administration, Communications and Operations (ACO) group within the Education Department and is responsible for managing the day-to-day functions of the box office; selling and distributing tickets for paid and non-paid Education Department programs and Museum events at all three locations. This position oversees 1 full-time and 2 part-time staff and multiple events at any given time. The Manager, Box Office works closely with ACO staff, including Production, Venue Operations and Audience Services and other Education Department staff in Teaching and Learning, Public Programs and Engagement, Live Arts and Academic and Professional Programs. This person serves as the primary liaison regarding Education event ticketing to the Member and Visitor Services Department. This position manages the Program Associate, Box Office Administration, two part-time Box Office Assistants and volunteers.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Manage the day-to-day functions of the box office within the Education Department. Supervise box office staff and volunteers.
- Manage and execute the building and administration of programs and events in Tessitura including facilities, seating maps, price zones, holds/kills, discounts/source codes, fees, seasons, campaigns, ticket designs, etc. for programs and events at all three locations (approximately 150 annually).
- Oversee and liaison with off-site call center (currently Spectrum), providing program and event information before tickets go on sale.
- Work with other areas within the Education Department (program areas, Audience Services) and other Museum departments (Member and Visitor Services) towards the Museum initiative of a single service sale model and the distribution of free with Museum admission event tickets.
- Serve as cross-departmental contact for donor, member, artist, press, and guest, Education program seating needs.
- Communicate with Education Audience Services, Member and Visitor Services, and Security before each event instructing where the box office is located, when the box office is open, what should be done with customers with Print at Home tickets and those customers picking up or buying tickets.
- Work with IS&T and Digital Marketing to resolve web and kiosk issues.
- Work with the Communications and Marketing Department on the pricing and house scaling for single ticket sales, subscription sales and special offers.
- Oversee free with Museum events, currently being built in Eventbrite.
- Create events and orders to deposit rental income and distribute event tickets.
- Oversee event box offices/will call, including order updates, report printing, and resolving customer issues.
- Oversee daily ticketing procedures, including daily ticket printing and distribution.
- Manage event inventory to ensure proper ticket fulfillment.
- Manage waitlists, including collection of customer information, oversight of the email, and the time email is sent to customers.
- Oversee financial reconciliation for the cash drawers and settlement of credit card business – including subsequent chargeback processing. Prepare cash and financial reports as needed. Responsible for compliance to all Museum policies and procedures in order to adhere to all audit programs.
- Oversee the inventory of ticket stock, envelopes, and enclosures.
- Work with IS&T regarding the inventory and operation of the ticketing hardware, including ticket printers and scanners.
- Establish and maintain relationships with ticketing contractors including Theatre Development Fund, VetTix, etc.
- Manage pre-show email process: Create pre-show email, work with IS&T to properly pull customer information, and work with Digital to adhere to Museum email policies.
- Recommend, implement and continually improve customer service policies and procedures.
- As a Tessitura power user, attend Tessitura power users meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience and Skills:
- 5-7 years of managerial experience in a fast-paced box office environment, required;
- Excellent negotiating and communication skills; ability to work productively and cooperatively in a team environment, required;
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and an ability to prioritize, delegate, and keep track of wide variety of ongoing projects, required;
- Strong computer skills - knowledge of Microsoft Office and event ticketing software, required. Knowledge and experience working with Tessitura, preferred;
Knowledge and Education:
- Bachelor of Arts degree, required
- Strong customer-focused service ethic; professional, pleasant, empathetic demeanor
Position requires frequent weekend and evening hours
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, required;
- Knowledge of visual and performing arts, preferred;